Barton under Needwood Gardens Festival - 23rd and 24th June 2018
Barton Gardens Festival is a grand event, over two days, for the weekend of 23rd and 24th June 2018, with something for children, parents, grandparents and other sundry adults to enjoy:
- Hidden Gardens for you to view and admire, open to view for this weekend only
- Exciting rides for brave Teddy Bears and their soft furred friends
- Art&Craft@Barton - Craft Fair at St James Church Hall in the centre of the Village
- A scarecrow trail around the village of scarecrows entered into our annual completion
- Refreshments available in the beautiful Vicarage Garden
- Duck races, run by the Scouts, on the stream at the Village Pond. Refreshments are also available at this location including: Hot Dogs, Beef burgers, Tea, Coffee, Cakes and Soft Drinks
- An Art Fest in St James' Parish Church
- Teas at the Fire Station and the Christadelphian Church
Admission to Gardens & Free Bus Travel
Admission to the 10 Gardens is £5.00. You will be given a wristband. Children go free.
Holders of a Gardens Festival Wristband can use the free bus service which will pick up and drop off visitors close to almost every Open Garden. Close means a maximum walk of 200 metres. There are 9 bus stops in the village; their location is indicated on the map in the middle of this programme on pages 18-19. The Bus stops are a Watering Can sign. There is no timetable for the bus, but traffic permitting the bus will arrive every 30 minutes. Garden 8 can only be reached by bus or on foot.
Refreshments available at
- The Vicarage Garden, St James Road, Afternoon Tea
- Garden 10, 62 Park Road, Lunches,Teas & Cakes. See garden details to book lunch
- The Fire Station, Short Lane, Teas and Cakes
- The Scout Barbeque on Potters Way, by the Village Pond, Efflinch Lane
- The Christadelphian Church, Upper Main Street, Teas
Please do not ask to use the garden owners’ toilets. They are under instructions not to allow public access inside their homes, and a refusal might cause embarrassment.
Public toilet facilities can be found at:
- St James’ Church Hall
- St James’ Church
- Village Hall, Crowberry Lane - if you have a disabled toilet key
- The Fire Station
- The Christadelphian Church
- Our Ladies Church, Wales Lane St James Road
First Aid Stations
In the event of an accident a First Aid Station run by the British Red Cross can be found in the churchyard near the gate to Church Lane and at the Fire Station, all Firemen are trained in First Aid procedures.
As you can imagine, it takes a huge number of volunteers to run and event of this nature. It's not too difficult or time consuming for individual volunteers, and great fun for everyone involved, so, if you would like to come and join us, do contact: Charles Theaker on 01283 716415 or email@example.com
If your children are 8 or over they may volunteer to be Paratedics. Contact Jill Rogers 01283 712809 or firstname.lastname@example.org
If you live in Barton under Needwood, and you feel you would like to open your garden in future years, please contact Val Richards, who will be glad to talk to you about next year’s event. Contact her on: 01283 712503 or email@example.com
If you would like to see some of the fun we had last year, please click on the video below.
GRATEFUL THANKS TO OUR SUPPORTERS
- The garden owners who open their gardens and work to make them so beautiful
- The craftsmen and women who come to demonstrate their fascinating crafts
- The Head Teacher of the John Taylor High School for the use the school’s car park
- John German and Cameron Homes who have sponsored the Teddy Rides
- St James Place Wealth Management sponsoring the event
- Burton Mini Marquee for providing the marquees for all the Teddy Rides
- AM Landscaping for providing barriers for the Teddy Rides
- Enterprise Marketing for maintaining this website
- The local businesses advertising in the programme and making generous offers in their adverts
Please give them your support
You are invited to the Scarecrow Competition prize giving & presentation of money raised to the charities on: Friday 14th July at 7.00pm in St James’ Church Hall.
Whilst this website is full of information, please do buy a programme as many of the advertisers have made great offers with their adverts.
Barton Lions will be helping in the Official Car Park at the John
Taylor School. The Barton under Needwood Lions are seeking civic-minded
men & women to join them in making a difference in the community. We aim
to raise funds to help charities and people in the local area Come and
join us to make a difference, and have some fun whilst doing so!!
For more information please contact David Pomroy on 01283 711298.
Next year’s Gardens Festival will be on 23rd & 24th June 2018.